Need help with your baggage?
Before your flight
After your flight
How many bags can I bring on board?
- One carry-on bag which can weigh up to 7kg (15lbs). It needs to be able to fit in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of you, and its length, width and height must add up to 118cm (46.5”) or less.
- Plus one small personal item such as a handbag, duty-free bag or a slim laptop sleeve, which must be able to fit under the seat in front of you.
A large laptop bag counts as a carry-on bag.
Naturally, you can’t bring any prohibited items on board.
More carry-on for our best seats and best customers
You can bring a second item on board if you’re flying Business Class, Premium Economy, Air New Zealand Elite, Gold or Star Alliance Gold.
- Your two items can weigh up to 14kg (30lb) in total
- One of your items can weigh up to 10kg (22lb)
- Both items need to meet our size criteria
Connecting to other flights?
If you’re flying Premium Economy or Air New Zealand Elite and you’ll be switching to codeshare flights or flights on other airlines, you will be limited to the standard allowance: one bag and one small personal item.
Special and oversize items
Sporting goods, musical instruments or other awkward items that don’t meet our size and weight criteria (above) need to fly as checked-in baggage. Unfortunately there just isn’t room in the cabin for skis, surfboards, bikes, guitars and tubas.
How many bags can I check in?
Your baggage allowance depends on your ticket, your destination and your Air New Zealand memberships.
Standard checked-in items
A standard item - usually a bag - weighs up to 23kg (50lb), and its length, width and height must add up to 158cm (62”) or less.
Flights within New Zealand
- seat only ticket: you can only bring your carry-on items, even if you're a Gold, Elite or Koru member. If you have more baggage than you expected, you may be able to upgrade your ticket to seat+bag.
- seat+bag, Smart Saver and flexitime tickets: you can check in one standard item. Gold, Elite and Koru members can bring two standard items.
- flexidate ticket: you can check in two standard items. Gold, Elite and Koru members can bring two standard items.
See more about checked in baggage allowances when you fly within New Zealand.
Flights to and from Australia, Bali and the Pacific islands
Pacific island flights include Honolulu, the Cook Islands, Fiji, New Caledonia, Niue, Norfolk Island, Samoa, Tahiti and Tonga.
- seat only: you can only bring your carry-on items, even if you're a Gold, Elite or Koru member. If you have more baggage than you expected, you may be able to upgrade your ticket to seat+bag.
- seat+bag and theworks: you can check in one standard item. If you're flying to Honolulu, or if you're a Gold, Elite or Koru member, you can bring two standard items.
- worksdeluxe and Premium Economy: you can check in two standard items. If you're a Gold, Elite or Koru member, you can bring three standard items.
- Business: you can check in three standard items.
See more about checked-in baggage allowances for Australia, Pacific Islands and Bali flights.
Other international flights
On most other international flights you can check in one standard item, with extra bags when you fly Premium Economy, Business Class, or are a member of the Koru Club or our Gold or Elite programme.
Find out your check-in allowance with our online calculator.
Can I use Airpoints Dollars™ to buy prepaid extra bags?
If you've already made a booking, you won't be able to pay for another bag with your Airpoints Dollars™, but you can pay with a credit card or a POLi payment.
If you want to add a bag to your booking, you can manage your booking here.
We're working on our mobile booking capability, but at the moment you cannot use Airpoints Dollars for seat select.
Can I bring more bags than my standard allowance?
They apply to extra bags, or large items like sports gear or musical instruments.
You can buy a Prepaid Extra Bag:
- Up to 90 minutes before your international flight.
- Up to 30 minutes before a domestic flight.
It's cheaper than waiting until you get to the airport and paying for your extra bags.
Add and extra bag to your booking.
What happens to my Prepaid Extra Bags if Air New Zealand changes my flight?
If we are unable to carry your Prepaid Extra Bags due to a flight disruption, you will be eligible to claim a refund of your Prepaid Extra Bags fee.
Will I be able to buy Prepaid Extra Bags when I am connecting through on other airlines?
What is the baggage allowance when my journey starts in Brazil?
Brazilian law sets a baggage allowance of two bags, weighing up to 32kg each. This generous allowance applies to your entire journey, regardless of stopovers or changes of airline. Your journey must begin in Brazil.
Normal baggage allowance is one bag weighing up to 23kg. Please double-check with your travel agent or airline that your allowance definitely applies to all legs of your journey. For example, if you have more than one flight reference number, those different flights must be considered as a separate journey.
Can I add a bag to my Seat only fare?
If a carry-on bag just isn't enough, you can change your booking to a seat+bag fare. Then you can check in a bigger bag when you arrive at the airport.
You can upgrade your ticket up to 90 minutes before an international flight, or 30 minutes before a domestic flight.
With a seat+bag ticket, you can also buy one or more prepaid extra bags. You can have up to three checked-in bags.
If you're an Elite or Gold tier member, your seat only fare allows two carry-on bags of up to 7kg each.