Find out how to receive our travel alert information.
Auckland airport closure
Auckland Airport have advised that due to serious disruption caused by flooding, no international flights will depart from Auckland Airport before 5 am Sunday, 29 January, and no international flights will arrive before 7 am Sunday, 29 January. These timings remain estimated and we will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as soon as we can.
If your flight has been impacted, we will notify you using the contact details provided in your booking.
If you're no longer able to travel or would like to defer your travel plans, we are currently offering flexibility to all flights to, through and from Auckland. For domestic flights, you will be able to defer your travel to a later date up to and including 6 February without penalty by phoning our contact centre team.
With regards to international travel, this can be differed to a later date up to and including the 13th of February without penalty by phoning our contact centre. Please keep in mind that our contact centre team are experiencing significantly high call volumes, and we really appreciate your patience.
Alternatively, you are able to hold your booking in credit here.
For any upcoming travel in and out of Auckland and surrounding ports, please keep an eye on our Air NZ mobile app or continue to use our website to monitor your flight status.
If you have domestic travel insurance, you may be able to claim any associated costs directly through your provider.
We know how important travel plans can be and we thank you for your patience and understanding, while we work to ensure you reach your final destination.
For information about your rights when you are disrupted, please see here.
The Auckland Airport website will also provide updates here.
Updates on entry travel requirements
Entry requirements are regularly changing. We recommend you stay up to date via the relevant countries official government website to ensure you are prepared for travel prior to departure.
The below countries have recently changed their entry requirements:
- Travelling to India from or via China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and Thailand are required to:
- Customers, 12 years and over, must submit a self-declaration form on the Air Suvidha portal before their scheduled travel and upload a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR report, conducted within 72 hours prior to starting their journey, to the Air Suvidha portal. More information can be found on the official government website
- Travelling to Australia from China, Hong Kong, and Macau are required to:
- Customers, 12 years and over, must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken anytime commencing 2 days prior to the date of departure and produce evidence of a negative test result prior to boarding and on arrival (if requested). More information can be found on the official government website
- Travelling to China are required to:
- Show printed evidence of a negative Covid-19 pre-departure test taken within 48hrs of departure and must complete an E-Health Declaration form 24hrs prior to arriving in China. More information can be found on the official government website
Our top tips for travel these holidays ✈️
Airports will be busier than ever this holiday period. Here are our top travel tips to help you prepare:
- Check-in early. You can check in up to 24 hours before your flight by downloading the Air NZ app or online. And, if there are any changes to the status of your flight, having the app will make sure you receive any notifications and are kept up to date.
- If you’re travelling with your family and children this summer, try and choose seats next to each other and file any documentation you need prior to coming to the airport. This makes the whole process much smoother and takes a little bit of stress away when you get to the airport.
- Check the travel requirements for the country you're travelling to and complete any travel declarations well in advance of your travel.
Pack within your limits. Our baggage calculator can save you from repacking your luggage at the airport. If you'd like to carry an additional bag, prepurchase this before your flight online here. This makes the process hassle-free when you get to the airport.
- Ensure you’re not carrying anything that is considered dangerous goods by security – (did you know - Christmas crackers are dangerous goods?!). Here’s a helpful link Checked-in baggage restricted items – Air New Zealand. Put wireless earbuds and loose batteries into your carry on.
- Put a name label on your bag as well as something that is unique – a coloured ribbon or brightly coloured decor will make it much easier to identify.
- Whether it’s a bike or surf board, if you’re planning on taking oversized luggage these holidays, please read everything you need to know here first, plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to check in these items at the oversized baggage kiosk. This process takes a little longer than normal bag check in, so please get in early or consider sending your gear as cargo.
- If you’re travelling with a pet these holidays, the IATA Live Animal Regulations have recently been updated (these are the standards we need to follow so your furry friends are safe, comfortable and well-looked after during flight). Not all pet carriers are equal so please check here for further information on travelling with pets.
- If you’re travelling with any valuables, we’d encourage you to purchase travel insurance and pack important things like medicine or inhalers, wedding dresses, keys, and wallets into your carry on, so you have everything you need in case there’s any disruption.
Leave for the airport nice and early. Plan for traffic during peak periods getting to and around the airport, especially in our bigger cities
Arrive early. Airports will be incredibly busy in December and January. Please arrive at the airport at least 60 minutes before your flight if travelling domestically. If you are travelling early in the morning and across the Tasman, please check in 2 hours before your flight. For all other international travel, please allow three hours. Add a bit more time if you’re travelling with pets, oversized bags, or require special assistance – such as children travelling alone.
- Don’t leave it until the last minute to go through security screening. There may be longer queues at security given the holiday rush. Please take personal electronics out nice and early to speed up the process.
We’re heading into a very busy summer and we know there are times when things don’t go to plan! Our customer team are always doing their best to help sort out these disruptions and it can be complex trying to re-book a whole flight load of customers. If things aren’t going to plan for you, please try to be as patient as you can with our team who will be working hard to reaccommodate you. We know how important it is to keep you moving!
Getting in touch with us 💜
We continue to receive an extremely high number of calls, messages, and emails, which is greatly affecting our response time.
If you prefer to contact us via one of our messaging channels, we ask that you provide as much information as possible when reaching out. If your query is about an upcoming or recently travelled booking, please also include your booking reference or ticket number.
Due to current incoming volumes, we do not recommend using a messaging channel if you require urgent assistance.
Thank you for your continued patience while you wait to connect with us.
Frequently asked travel queries
Our website is also full of information to help throughout your journey. We recommend checking for details prior to reaching out to our Contact Centre, Social Media, and Email Support teams for further assistance.
Flight Disruptions and your rights:
- Should your flight be affected by a significant delay, cancellation, or schedule change, please click here to explore your options.
Airpoints membership information:
Flight and booking assistance:
Other points to keep in mind:
- For customers looking to use a credit to make a new booking, please note that credits can't be combined with Airpoints Dollars. Once your credit has been applied, any remaining amount will need to be paid for using a credit/debit card or via POLi internet banking.
- Prepaid extra baggage is only available when your journey is solely operated by Air New Zealand. If another airline makes up part of your journey, excess baggage fees will apply at check-in based on the baggage rules of your ticket.
- While you are not required to show proof of vaccination to travel on an Air New Zealand operated service, any vaccination and pre-departure testing requirements of your transit or destination countries still apply.
- As of 20 October 2022, you are no longer required to complete a New Zealand Traveller Declaration.
We also recommend downloading the Air NZ app to stay up to date with your bookings.