Connecting at Shanghai
Transit to/from Lufthansa, British Airways, Austrian Air, Swiss, Scandinavian or Eva Air
Air New Zealand customers may be through-checked when transiting via Shanghai/Pudong on the same day with an international onward connection to/from Lufthansa (LH), British Airways (BA), Austrian Air (OS), Swiss International (LX), Scandinavian (SK), and Eva Air (BR) airline partners.
- When checking in, ensure that your baggage tag shows your final destination, and not just Shanghai 'PVG'
- On arrival at Shanghai/Pudong, do not clear Customs and Immigration or collect your luggage. As there are no border formalities completed, there is no requirement to hold a transit visa
- Please also note, if your onward travel with either of these airlines is not on the same calendar day but within 144 hours (six days) of your arrival - you may be eligible to transit without a visa under the 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy
- Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to
Virgin Atlantic and all other transit passengers
- If arriving on an international service you need to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. You must hold a valid visa (if required, please check with the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate for the latest requirements) and passport to transit China
- There are certain nationalities that can transit up to 144 hours (six days) at Shanghai Pudong without a visa, if they hold confirmed travel (via onward air, cruise or train ticket) to a third country (not back to NZ), and depart from one of the following locations - Hangzhou (HGH), Nanjing (NKG), Shanghai Honqiao (SHA) and Pudong (PVG), Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou (Baoshan) International Cruise Terminal or Shanghai Railway station
- Collect your baggage from the carousel at the Arrival Hall
- Exit the Arrival Hall with your luggage
- If you are connecting to a flight departing Terminal 2 where Air New Zealand operates from, proceed upstairs to the check-in area in the Departure Hall on the 1st level
- If you're connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 1, proceed to the check-in area in Terminal 1 with your baggage