Connecting at Shanghai
There are specific procedures to follow for travellers transiting through Shanghai/Pudong (PVG) airport. This information will help you understand the transfer process.
Transit to/from Lufthansa, Austrian Air, Swiss or Virgin Atlantic
Air New Zealand customers may be through-checked when transiting via Shanghai/Pudong in the same day with an international onward connection to/from Lufthansa (LH), Swiss International (LX), Virgin Atlantic (VS) and Austrian Air (OS) airline partners.
- When checking in ensure that your baggage tag shows your final destination, and not just Shanghai 'PVG'
- On arrival at Shanghai/Pudong do not clear Customs and Immigration, or collect your luggage. As there are no border formalities completed, there is no requirement to hold a transit visa. Please also note, if your onward travel with either of these airlines is not on the same calendar day but within 144 hours (six days) of your arrival - you may be eligible to transit without a visa, if departing for your next International flight from Shanghai Pudong Airport. For more information see Interpretation of 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy
- Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to
All other transit customers
- If arriving on an international service you need to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. You must hold a valid visa (if required, please check with the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate for the latest requirements) and passport to transit China
- There are certain nationalities that can transit up to 144 hours (six days) at Shanghai Pudong without a visa. This is only on the condition that a confirmed onward ticket is held and you are arriving and departing from Shanghai Pudong airport. For more information see Interpretation of 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy
- Collect your luggage from the carousel at the Arrival Hall
- Exit the Arrival Hall with your luggage
- If you are connecting to a flight departing Terminal 2 where Air New Zealand operates from, proceed upstairs to the check-in area in the Departure Hall on the 1st level
- If you are connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 1, proceed to the check-in area in Terminal 1 with your luggage