Canada entry and transit requirements

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

From 1 October 2016, travellers to Canada must have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). This is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air.

You must obtain an eTA prior to travel.

Applying for an eTA is an easy online process that will take just a few minutes. You need your passport, a credit card, and an email address. It costs CAD $7 and in most cases the eTA will be granted within minutes of applying.

See the list of eTA-required countries.

For more information and to check the status of your eTA visit and to apply for the eTA visit

The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. Travellers will need to travel with the same passport they used when they applied for and obtained their eTA.