There are specific procedures to follow for travellers transiting through Shanghai/Pudong (PVG) airport. This information will help you understand the transfer process.
Transit to/from Lufthansa, Swiss or Virgin Atlantic
Air New Zealand customers may be through-checked when transiting via Shanghai/Pudong in the same day with an international onward connection to/from Lufthansa (LH), Swiss International (LX) and Virgin Atlantic (VS) airline partners.
- When checking in ensure that your baggage tag shows your final destination, and not just Shanghai 'PVG'.
- On arrival at Shanghai/Pudong do not clear Customs and Immigration, or collect your luggage.
- Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to.
Transit to Shanghai Airlines (northbound only)
Air New Zealand is permitted to allow a same day through check-in via Shanghai/Pudong airport onto Shanghai Airlines (FM) in a northbound direction only i.e. when flying from New Zealand to China.
Customers may be through-checked from New Zealand and have their luggage tagged to their final destination on Shanghai Airlines.
- On arrival at Shanghai/Pudong you need to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. You must hold a valid visa (if required. Please check with the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate for the latest requirements) and passport to enter China.
- Collect your luggage from the carousel at the Shanghai/Pudong Arrival Hall.
- Proceed directly to the Shanghai Airlines check-in desk in the Transfer/Arrival Hall and drop your luggage there. If you don't already hold a boarding pass for your onward Shanghai Airlines operated service, you need to get one at this point.
- Exit the Arrival Hall and proceed upstairs to the Domestic Departure Hall on the 1st level.
All other transit customers
- If arriving on an international service you need to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. You must hold a valid visa (if required, please check with the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate for the latest requirements) and passport to transit China.
- Collect your luggage from the carousel at the Arrival Hall.
- Exit the Arrival Hall with your luggage.
- If you are connecting to a flight departing Terminal 2 where Air New Zealand operates from, proceed upstairs to the check-in area in the Departure Hall on the 1st level.
- If you are connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 1, proceed to the check-in area in Terminal 1 with your luggage.