On the north western slopes of Mt Ruapehu, Whakapapa is New Zealand’s largest developed ski area and has every facility you could ask for - including (on a clear day) spectacular views across the central North Island.
Within the 600 acre boundary (excluding Turoa), there are a myriad of options and well groomed terrain that caters for beginners in the renowned world class Happy Valley right through to advanced skiers out to challenge their limits on the many steep faces, slopes and gullies. There are plenty of marked trails but the off piste skiing at Whakapapa is superb.
Scheduled season dates: 2013 winter season opening: 29 June 2013*
||1359 acres (includes Turoa skifield)
|Lifts||• 2 quad
• 5 double chairlifts
• 4 T-bars
• 2 platters
• 1 learners carpet conveyers
• 1 learners rope tow
|Facilities||• 6 cafés including 2 licensed cafés
• Retail Shop (Vertical Retail)
• Accident and Medical Centre
• Rentals (skis, snowboards, boots and poles, clothing)
• Snow school (95 instructors)
• On-mountain accommodation (club lodges only)
|Children||Children from aged 6 to 16 years are supervised in a variety of programmes from Kids Holiday Programmes for beginners to advanced, to Kids Weekend Programmes - Flyers, Warriors and Mountain Madness|
||• The Park Travellers Lodge (National Park Village)
• Skotel Alpine Resort (Whakapapa Village)
* Scheduled season dates are indicative only and dependant on weather and snow conditions.