If you need to take extra bags, it’s smarter to prepay before you get to the airport
When you want to take more baggage than your fare allows, Prepaid Extra Bags are the smartest and cheapest solution. If you wait until you get to the airport, you’ll pay excess baggage rates that are much higher than the prepaid cost.
Prepaid Extra Bags can be added to your booking online up to three hours before an international flight or up to 30 minutes before a domestic flight.
Airpoints™ Elite, Gold and Koru members are entitled to additional baggage benefits at no charge. Please consider this before purchasing Prepaid Extra Bags.
How to purchase Prepaid Extra Bags
- Purchase online when making your booking
- Retrieve your existing booking and add to your flight
- Call our Air New Zealand contact centre (service fees may apply)
- Speak to your travel agent who made your flight booking
Prepaid Extra Bags charges
|Pricing in USD||1st Extra Bag
||2nd Extra Bag
|Domestic New Zealand Flights||$25||$40|
|Flights between New Zealand & Australia (includes Virgin Australia) and the Pacific Islands, except Perth, Honolulu and Bali||$45||$75|
|Flights between New Zealand & Perth, Honolulu and Bali||$70||$125|
|Flights between New Zealand & Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Vancouver
(for travel from 29 Feb 2016, terms and conditions apply*)
Other things you should know
Prepaid Extra Bags don’t apply to Seat Only fares and can’t be purchased for international multistop itineraries booked online. There is a maximum of three checked-in bags per person. Infants can’t purchase Prepaid Extra Bags.
If you’re booking online with multiple travellers, Prepaid Extra Bags will be spread across passengers to ensure you pay the lowest cost possible. You will need to check in together.
Charges for overweight, oversize and sporting items depend on their weight and size. More about overweight, oversize and sporting items.
Frequently asked questions
Here are some links to more Prepaid Extra Bags information.
* Terms & Conditions: $1 extra checked bag applies to new direct Economy class bookings made for travel between Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston & Vancouver and New Zealand and Australia from 29 February 2016. A limit of 1 additional checked bag per person (max 23kgs) at the discounted value applies, no more than 3 checked bags in total per person per booking is permitted. Fares sold to onward points in Canada or the USA are not valid for this offer. Travel to/from any domestic port in New Zealand is included in this offer however any travel which includes an overnight stay or transit of more than 24 hours is excluded.
Extra Bags are only available on Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia operated flights. Extra Bags will not be available on codeshare and flights operated by other partner airlines. Due to operational requirements and load restrictions, some Air New Zealand flights will not offer the Extra Bags option. The total checked baggage allowance for any passenger is 3 pieces, including Extra Bags and free baggage allowance included in the fare. The maximum weight for a bag is 23kg (50lbs).
Read the full Extra Bags Terms and Conditions.