If you're one of our most frequent flyers, you may qualify for a range of exclusive benefits and privileges, making your travel easier and more enjoyable.
And the great news is, Status Points make it easier to reach the next tier level.
With Air New Zealand's participation in the Star Alliance network, achieving an elite tier status means that your tier status will be recognised in 194 countries when travelling on Air New Zealand or any of the Star Alliance airlines. Airpoints™ Gold Elite and Gold members will enjoy the special privileges of Star Alliance Gold status, while Airpoints Silver members will receive Star Alliance Silver status.
Benefits outlined in this section are available to Gold Elite, Gold and Silver members who are travelling on flights operated by Air New Zealand and our Star Alliance partners.
How you become an Airpoints Silver, Gold or Gold Elite member
The table below shows how many Status Points you will need to earn to reach each tier status. Only the Status Points you earn by flying on Air New Zealand or Star Alliance airlines count towards your tier status. To view your current tier status and see how many Status Points you need to earn to reach the next tier status, simply login to myairnz, your new-look personal homepage.
|Status Points required to achieve each tier status|
|Tier||Number of Status Points2
required to upgrade
|Number of Status Points2
required to retain tier status
1. Air New Zealand flight means a flight ticketed and operated by Air New Zealand. Flights booked in conjunction with Airpoints reward classes (X,I), and travel industry classes (N,R) and free tickets, prize competition tickets and tickets purchased using Fly Buys points are not eligible to earn Status Points or credit towards tier status.
2. Status Points must be earned in a 12 month period to achieve tier status. However, once you achieve a tier status, you only require 90% of those Status Points to retain that status the following year.
3. To Upgrade to Silver at least 225 Status Points must be earned on Qualifying Flights. To Retain Silver at least 202 Status Points must be earned on Qualifying Flights.
4. To Upgrade to Gold at least 450 Status Points must be earned on Qualifying Flights. To Retain Gold at least 405 Status Points must be earned on Qualifying Flights.
5. To Upgrade to Gold Elite at least 900 Status Points must be earned on Air New Zealand Operated Flights. To Retain Gold Elite at least 810 Status Points must be earned on Air New Zealand Operated Flights.
Airpoints Frequent Flyer benefits
Benefits marked with can be enjoyed on Air New Zealand flights and also on our Star Alliance partner airlines. Benefits marked with are benefits available exclusively to Airpoints members. Click on each benefit in the list below for more information. Tier Status benefits are valid for 12 months after Tier Status becomes effective, unless elevated to a new tier in the interim.
|Star Alliance Benefits
||Star Alliance Silver
||Star Alliance Gold
||Airpoints Gold Elite
|Priority Bag Tags|
|Priority Airport Standby|
|Airpoints Benefits||Airpoints Silver
||Airpoints Gold Elite
|Status Point Rollover|
|Gold Elite Banked Year|
|No Airpoints Dollars Expiry|
|Advanced Seat Request**|
|Hotel/Rental Car Voucher|
|Rental Car Voucher|
|Gold Elite Partner Card|
Star Alliance Benefits available with all Star Alliance airlines. Please note Airpoints Gold Elite and Gold status is equivalent to Star Alliance Gold status.
Exclusive Airpoints Member Benefits.
* Airpoints Silver members receive 2 lounge single use lounge passes per year.
** Gold Elite, Gold and Koru members are among the first in line for any available Premium Seating on Air New Zealand flights. Premium Seating is available towards the front of our cabins.