Check in online before you arrive at the airport and fly through our terminals.
Check-in is now easier than ever on your computer or web-enabled phone. With online check-in you can select your seats, manage your checked baggage and receive your boarding pass*, before you get to the airport. If you are travelling on a flight operated by another airline, please check in with that airline.
There are four easy ways to check in online:
- check in from a computer via the Air New Zealand website (via the homepage, manage booking or when signed in to your Airpoints account)
- check-in from the Air New Zealand mobile site
- retrieve your booking and we'll check if you’re on a mobile device
- or check-in from the Air NZ mobile app
Online check-in is open 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight and closes:
- 30 minutes before domestic New Zealand flights
- 90 minutes before international flights
Do you need to check in?
|Carry on only?||Bags to check?||Bag drop closes|
|Domestic New Zealand flights||Use your e-ticket or mobile boarding pass, in the Air NZ mobile app, to board
Or check in online to select a seat or purchase pre-paid Extra Bags
|Check in at a kiosk and drop your bags
Or check in online to save time at the kiosk, select a seat or purchase pre-paid Extra Bags
|30 minutes before scheduled departure|
|International flights||Check-in at a kiosk or counter to receive your boarding pass
Or check-in online to select a seat, purchase pre-paid Extra Bags and receive your boarding pass*
|Check in a kiosk or counter to drop your bags and receive your boarding pass
Or check-in online to save time at the kiosk, select a seat, purchase pre-paid Extra Bags and receive your boarding pass*
|60 minutes before scheduled departure
75 minutes prior to departure for flights departing from
- London Heathrow
- All US airports
- All Canadian airports
* Home printed boarding passes are not accepted at all airports. Mobile boarding passes, in the Air NZ mobile app, are only accepted for domestic New Zealand flights and outbound flights from New Zealand airports.
If your boarding pass is not issued electronically, you will need to collect your boarding pass at the airport from a check-in kiosk or counter.
Can you use online check-in?
You can use online check-in, if your journey starts on an Air New Zealand operated flight. Online check-in is not available for unaccompanied minors and some passengers requiring special assistance.
If your booking has more than 9 passengers, you will be unable to check-in from your mobile.
How to check in online
Things you will need handy:
- your booking reference
- passport details (for international flights) for all passengers you have selected to check in
- frequent flyer programme membership numbers, if applicable
- select passengers from your booking you would like to check in
(for groups of more than 9 passengers you will be required to enter the passenger’s names as shown on their passport)
- upgrade on eligible flights if you wish to
- manage checked baggage
- select seats
- pay for any purchases (upgrades, pre-paid Extra Bags available on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights and seat selection)
- enter passport details and other entry and transit requirements
Note: Ensure that the passport entered is the passport the passenger will be flying on.
Online check-in features
Receive your boarding pass electronically
If you have completed online check-in successfully you will be issued with your boarding pass for eligible flights which you can:
- download and save for printing later
- have emailed to you for printing
- view in the Air NZ mobile app
- pick up at the airport from a kiosk or online check-in counter
Express check-in on your mobile
Already selected your seat and don’t have any bags to manage? Use the Express check-in option, available for eligible bookings, to skip bags and seats and speed up the online check-in process on your mobile.
Why has your boarding pass not been issued electronically?
Accepted boarding passes
Home printed and mobile boarding passes are not accepted for travel from some airports. In this instance you will need to collect your boarding pass from a kiosk or check-in counter at the airport.
Meeting entry and transit requirements
- Boarding passes cannot be issued electronically if one or more passengers selected for check-in does not meet entry and transit requirements, for example, where a visa, ESTA or proof of an onward ticket is required. In this instance no boarding passes will be issued online for the selected passengers and check-in will need to be completed at the airport.
- New Zealand entry and transit requirements
- US entry and transit requirements
- passport and visa information for all countries
Please note: If you are required complete check-in at the airport to collect your boarding pass or failed to check-in, please arrive at the airport before normal check-in closes for your flight. You will need to check-in at an Air New Zealand kiosk or online check-in counter. If you meet all the entry requirements, your boarding pass will be issued.
At the airport
If you need to collect your boarding pass, please complete check-in at a kiosk or online check-in counter.
All passengers travelling on international flights must present their passport to an Air New Zealand representative for face to passport checks. If you have proceeded to the gate via one of our self-service check-in options, please present your passport at the gate counter prior to boarding. Alternatively your name will be called at the gate counter for face to passport checks.